Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Mary

Our Blessed Mother Mary is obviously an amazing role model, particularly for girls, since, you know, she was a girl. I always found it so cool how Mary did everything. She was the perfect wife, the perfect mother, and she was the first nun (which she was also perfect at). I've gone through periods of serious vocation confusion. I've always wanted to get married and have lots of kids but then we would have vocations talks at XLT and stuff about how every Catholic should consider the religious life. So then I was like I don't know maybe I should be a nun. Mr. Lemieux once told us how he couldn't freely marry his wife without "dating" the priesthood first, meaning that he went on a vocations retreat and just gave the idea of being a priest serious consideration. I think that's true for girls too. You can't give yourself fully in a marriage unless you've also tested being a nun. Go on a vocations retreat. Talk to nuns. And pray to Mary. She was all of the above so she knows the pros and cons of each of the options and can therefore guide you very well no matter where you end up.
And besides vocations Mary is just the perfect person for girls to turn to. If you're having mood swings, if you're caught up in teen drama, if it's just one of those girl things, talk to Mary. She's a girl so she knows what you're going through. I'm sure she experienced the teen drama, saw all those mood swings, had girl moments. So girls, just talk to her. I guarantee she'll give the best advice.

No comments: