Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Actions Speak Louder Than Words

I hate when people say I'm Catholic but they don't act at all Catholic. This reminds me of the Bible verse from Matthew 3:9 where St. John the Baptist says to the Pharisees and Sadducees "And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham for our father. For I tell you that God is able of these stones to raise up children to Abraham."
Basically the Pharisees and Sadducees thought that just because they were "children of Abraham" they could get away with anything. Alot of Catholics seem to think that too. I hate to burst your bubble but anyone can say that they're Catholic, what matters is if you act like it. If all you do is say oh I'm Catholic but don't go to Mass, don't pray, etc. then you're really not Catholic. God could make my computer into a better Catholic than you (which is basically what St. John is saying when he tells the Pharisees and Sadducees that God could raise up children to Abraham from the stones). And if you're a cafeteria Catholic (which means that you pick and choose what you believe in) and you "disagree" with fundamental Church teaching, guess what, you've excommunicated yourself. You don't need the Pope to send you an official notice, it's already done. This isn't multiple choice people, you're either Catholic or you're not. And if you're not, please don't insult the rest of us by associating yourself with those Catholics who actually take their faith seriously.
Just for the record, cuz I know some of you are gonna take this the wrong way, I'm not saying I'm perfect. There are plenty of times that I've been a bad Catholic. I admit it. But I'm trying. That's what God asks of us. He knows we're gonna mess up but do we get back up and try again. Jesus fell three times on the way to Calvary. But He got back up and kept going.
Actions speak louder than words. If you're going to say you're Catholic, then act like it.

No comments: