Thursday, November 13, 2008

We Are Made For These Times

Being a bit of a history buff I've often looked into the past and said "I wish I had lived in that time period". It is very tempting, particularly when we are faced with tough decisions, to look back and say "I'm living in the wrong time, I was meant to live in the 1800's," or the Middle Ages, or whenever. But the fact is that God doesn't make mistakes. He put you in this age for a reason. If you were meant to be an abolitionist you would have lived during the Civil War. But you didn't. You're living now. Which means that God wants you to face today's challenges. There is no point looking back. We must look first at the present, we must identify the problems facing our world today and then we must look to the future and decide what we will do about them. You were not called to be a martyr in the Coliseum. But you may be called to go to jail in defense of the unborn. You were not meant to fight for the freedom of slaves. But you are meant to fight for the lives of the unborn, the elderly, and the disabled. God made us for these times; to fight the good fight now. It is easy to look into the past and condemn. It is easy to say "If I had lived then I would have done what was right". But you're not living then. You're living now. And are you doing what is right?