"It’s time to face facts. Americans are a people inclined towards action. This has served us well, but there is something else that must be the foundation of our actions if we are to be successful in any spiritual battle. This is the Power of Prayer, and especially, the Power of the Rosary. Our Lady is the Patroness of the United States under the title of the Immaculate Conception, and Our Lady of Guadalupe is the Patroness of the Americas. It is to Our Lady under these titles that we direct our prayers, to ask for her intercession for the triumph of the Culture of Life.
The ultimate goal is a lofty one - 68,000,000 rosaries said for the triumph of the Culture of Life in our country. Why 68,000,000? 68 million is roughly the number of Catholics in our country, and it’s also very close to the number of people who voted for Barack Obama in the recent election. Therefore, there are at least 68 million reasons to do penance. If Catholics would pray and act as they should, the Culture of Death would be put to rout in our country. This battle is primarily spiritual warfare, and it’s time we finally get organized as an army.
The first initiative of Rosaries for Life is going to be the Inauguration Day Rosary Novena. This Novena is going to last for 72 days - it consists of 4 sets of mysteries 9 times for the intentions, followed by 4 sets of mysteries 9 times in thanksgiving = 72 days of praying 5 decades). The novena will begin on November 10th, the feast of St. Leo the Great (as well as the first day of the USCCB meeting) and end on January 20th, Inauguration Day.
There are five specific intentions. You may specifically pray a specific mystery for a specific intention, or simply pray the whole rosary for all of the intentions. If possible, pray the rosary in front of the Blessed Sacrament. The intentions are these:
* For the triumph of the Culture of Life in the United States of America.
* For President-elect Obama, and for all of the leaders of the United States of America, that they will be led personally to Jesus Christ and His truth, and that they will lead our country in a positive direction. Or in other words, as Archbishop Wuerl said, “That our nation’s new leaders be guided in their decisions with wisdom and compassion and at the heart of all of their decisions may there be a deep respect for and commitment to the sanctity and dignity of all human life and support for the most vulnerable among us.”
* For the hearts, minds and SOULS of the American people, that they will be turned back towards Jesus Christ and the “least of His brethren”.
* For a renewal of the virtues of purity and self-control, especially among our youth.
* In reparation for the scourges of abortion, Embryonic Stem Cell Research, euthanasia, cloning, artificial contraception, and all manifestations of the Culture of Death, and especially in reparation for the support and/or complacency that we as American Catholics have shown to these evils.
I Timothy 2:1-2 -First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intecessions, and thanksgivings be made for all men - for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life, godly, and respectful in every way.
Ephesians 6:11-13 - Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we are not contending against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand."