Sunday, August 5, 2012

100 Books Every Woman Should Read - The Sorrows of Young Werther***

"This is an epistolary and loosely autobiographical novel by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, first published in 1774; very dramatic and even overwrought it is nonetheless very moving."

I loved the first three quarters of this book!  The writing is simply exquisite; it is one of those books in which I would read a paragraph, or a whole page, over and over again because it's beauty so touched my heart!  However, towards the end of the book the main character becomes kind of ridiculous and then the whole thing just gets depressing.  So I highly recommend most of this book and leave the rest to your judgment.

Some snippets of beauty from this work:

  • "misunderstandings and lethargy perhaps lead to more complications in the affairs of the world than trickery and wickedness"
  • "In the same way, the most restless of travelers ends up pining for his homeland once again, and discovers in his cottage, in the arms of his wife and amidst his children, and in the labours that are necessary to support them, that joy he sought in vain in the wide world."
  • "If you could but see me, my dear friend, amidst that whirl of trivial amusements!  My senses are quite dried out!  There is not a single instant when the heart is full, not one single hour of bliss!  nothing!  nothing!"
  • "I am also disturbed to find he values my mind and abilities more highly than my heart, which is my only source of pride, and indeed of everything, all my strength and happiness and misery.  The things I know, anyone can know - my heart is mine and mine alone."
  • "the reason why those times whose recollection so torments me now were so blissful was that I awaited His spirit with patience, and received the joys he bestowed upon me with a full and deeply grateful heart."
  • "Think of you! - I do not think of you; you are always before my soul."

No comments: